Safer Internet Day 2021
Tuesday 9th February 2021
Safer Internet Day 2021 will be celebrated in the UK with the theme:
An internet we trust: exploring reliability in the online world
We will be celebrating this day remotely on Seesaw and we would love you to take part.
This year in the UK, Safer Internet Day explores reliability online. The campaign will focus on knowing what to trust online and the strategies that young people use to question, challenge and change the online world. The internet has an amazing range of information and opportunities online, and can help us see the world from different points of view. But how do we separate fact from fiction, the genuine from the misleading? How do we decide what to believe online, and what’s the impact of dealing with fake content and experiences?
The children will receive an activity linked to this theme in addition to a short pre-recorded assembly that we would love you to watch and discuss with your child.
Here is a short video where children share their opinion about how parents and carers can help with trust online. There are lots of LIVE events taking place that you might also want to join in with detailed below
Safer Internet Day is a great opportunity to focus on online safety with your child – whether that’s trying out some of the learning activities in the pack below, asking about what they like to do online or using their favourite app or game with them.
We hope that you will join us by having those vital conversations with your children about online safety. Here is the letter which was sent to parents.
For more information about the organisers, visit the Safer Internet Day 2021 webpage.
Live Events and Quizzes
Live Events on Tuesday 9th February 2021
- â€‹â€‹11:00-11:30am: Safer Internet Day are working with BBC Teach to create a Live Lesson at 11:00 am online and on â€‹CBBC â€‹
- 1:30 Barefoot Live Safer Internet Day Special - They’ll be sharing the freshly revamped ‘Cyber Snakes’ activity for pupils aged 5 - 7 and launching a brand new online game about phishing scams,‘ The Phisherman’, for pupils aged 8 - 11. Join live or watch at a time to suit you.
- 1:30-2:30pm Virtual Event in partnership with Liverpool FC
This is aimed at young people aged 9-11 and will include exclusive content from Liverpool FC.
Quizzes for the Family
- Safer Internet Day Quiz 2021 This quiz is designed for 8-13 year olds.
- Internet Matters – Find the Fake Quiz (There are three age ranges)
SID 2021 Education Pack for Parents and Carers:
SID have produced the following resources for parents and carers to get involved:
- What do I need to know about SID 2021?
- Conversation Starters with your children
- Family Activities
- Family Online Safety Plan
- Resources for Parents and Carers
- A parent's guide to: What to trust online?
Some other resources which you may find helpful in supporting your child online are:
Netaware/NSPCC have produced 8 online safety tips for parents in lockdown.
Guides on popular apps and games from NetAware
Advice for parents and carers from Childnet
- Tips, advice and guides for parents and carers from the UK Safer Internet Centre
- Reviews and information about games, apps, TV shows and websites from Common Sense Media
- Help on using parental controls and privacy settings from Internet Matters
- Information and reporting of online grooming or abuse from CEOP