At John Stainer we aim for our pupils to have a love of learning another language and respect for other cultures.
At John Stainer we aim for our pupils to have a love of learning another language and respect for other cultures. In all primary schools there is a requirement for a modern foreign language to be taught to pupils in KS2 and the modern foreign language that our children learn is French.
We use the Euro Stars New Primary French scheme which enables teachers to use engaging interactive whiteboard activities to deliver each lesson, together with printable picture cards and word cards, and animations. The activities are interactive; by clicking on a word, sentence or phrase the children can hear it being spoken in French.
Through this scheme the children are able to develop their knowledge and understanding of French vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, intonation and spelling, as well as cultural knowledge
Lessons are taught for 30 minutes each week. Children participate in a range of different activities to allow them to engage with the French language. They have the opportunity to listen to others and have a go at speaking and writing. Lessons can also include games and songs to create a happy and fun learning environment.
At the beginning of Year 3 children learn to greet other and say goodbye; ask someone their name and read and say the numbers 0 – 6. By the end of Year 6 children will be practising simple sentences to exchange personal information and using verb phrases. As well as the language, children also learn about the country of France itself; for example they are introduced to famous people and important cities.
Here is a snippet of one of our Year 4 French lessons - can you tell what they are discussing?
Watch the video below to find out more about our French scheme at John Stainer
List of units:
New Primary French Pack 1 (Year 3)
1. Moi (All about me)
2. Jeux et chansons (Games and songs)
3. On fait la fête (Celebrations)
4. Portraits (Portraits)
5. Les quatre amis (The four friends)
6. Ça pousse! (Growing things)
New Primary French Pack 2 (Year 4)
1. On y va (All aboard)
2. L’argent de poche (Pocket money)
3. Raconte-moi une histoire! (Tell me a story)
4. Vive le sport! (Our sporting lives)
5. Le Carnaval des Animaux (The Carnival of Animals)
6. Quel temps fait-il? (What's the weather like?)
New Primary French Pack 3 (Year 5)
1. Bon appétit, bonne santé (Healthy eating)
2. Je suis le musiciane (I am the music man)
3. En route pour l’école (On the way to school)
4. Scène de plage (Beach scene)
5. Le retour du printemps (The return of spring)
6. Les planètes (The planets)
New Primary French Pack 4 (Year 6)
1. Notre école (Our school)
2. Notre monde (The world about us)
3. Le passé et le present (Then and now)
4. Monter un café (Setting up a café)
5. Quoi de neuf? (What’s in the news?)