History of Our School
John Stainer School started out as two buildings, built in 1884 and was originally named ‘Mantle Road School’. In 1954 a decision was made to demolish the Junior building, the land was sold off for housing, the school was moved into the Infant building and the school was renamed ‘John Stainer School’.
Who was John Stainer?
The school and World War 2
The school also experienced a direct bomb hit during the war when it sustained significant damage. We are lucky enough to have an ex-pupil Frank Wallace, who kept letters from his parents and other information from when he was evacuated. He told me how in the severe winter of 1942 as a 5-year old he had lessons in a tent in the playground!
The link for you to read Frank's extremely interesting account, click on the button
Here is a lovely account of Stella O'Brien's life at John Stainer. She was kind enough to get in touch with us, after looking at our website during lockdown, and going down memory lane. You can read her story here:
After a very troubled history, and a long period on Special Measures, in 2006 the school was recognised as the third most improved in the country. The 2008 OFSTED gave us 13 outstanding judgements, and finally the inspection in 2012 judged the school to be outstanding in every area.
OFSTED 2012 "The school has improved significantly over time. This has come about largely through the skilful leadership of the headteacher, ably supported by a talented staff and highly capable governing body. They share an ambitious vision for continuous improvement, and the result of their work is a harmonious school community which benefits from strong parental relationships".
Because of the success of the school and how heavily oversubscribed it was every year, in 2013 a decision was made to rebuild the school so it could double in size. This work is now fully completed.
Read here about the achievements of an ex-pupil in diving.....