All pupils are expected to be in school, on time, unless they are too unwell, in which case we expect you to telephone the school to let us know the specific reason for absence, or they have an appointment, for which we expect a copy of the letter or card for the file from the doctor or hospital. We do not condone parents taking their children out of school for term time holidays unless it is an absolute emergency. Any term time absence must be requested before the time is taken on the appropriate form from the school office and the headteacher will decide if the absence will be authorised and inform you in writing.
Emergency closure policy
If for any reason we have to close the school as am emergency, a notice will be posted on the website under Newsflash on the right hand side, and a message will be left on the school answer machine saying the school is closed and referring you to the website. We do not make this decision lightly as we realise how disruptive it is for parents, but if we cannot get enough staff into school because of where they are travelling from, then the decision is made by the headteacher to close, and the Local Authority are informed. This has happened (very infrequently) in the past because of the snow. In the event of a planned strike where we do not have enough staff to cover classes then generally we are able to give you some advance warning. Sometimes the school site itself is unsafe, or unable to be used, for example if the water is cut off or if the heating has failed, but I am pleased to say that neither of these have caused a school closure in the last 13 years! I strongly suggest having a contingency plan agreed with friends or family about what to do in the event of a school closure, to help keep disruption to a minimum.
Term Dates 2018-19
- Monday 3 September – Friday 19 October (Monday 3 September INSET school closed to children)
- Half term: Monday 22 October – Friday 26 October
- Monday 29 October – Friday 21 December (school closes at 1.30pm)
- (Friday 23 November INSET Day school closed to children)
- Monday 7 January – Friday 15 February
- Half term: Monday 18 February – Friday 22 February
- Monday 25 February – Friday 5 April (school closes at 1.30pm)
- (Friday 1st March INSET school closed to children)
- Tuesday 23 April – Friday 24 May (the early May bank holiday will be taken on 6 May)
- Half term: Monday 27 May – Friday 31 May
- Monday 3 June – Tuesday 23 July (School closes at 1.30pm)
- (Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 July INSET school closed to children)